Monday, February 16, 2009

An Extension for Wade?

Days after Heat president Pat Riley said his biggest nightmare is losing Dwyane Wade to 2010 free agency, Wade said he might consider ending his bosses sleepless nights a year early.

Under the league's current salary structure, Wade is eligible to sign a contract extension on July 1 that could add another four years and about $86 million onto the two seasons and $33 million that will be left after this season.

With speculation among NBA executives that the salary cap and luxury tax thresholds could be reduced in the coming seasons amid a struggling economy, the maximum salaries available to free agents could either level off or decrease slightly.

Wade said he hasn't given much thought to signing an extension this summer, but wouldn't rule it out.

''When the time comes and I have to sit down at the end of the season and think about it, I will,'' Wade said. ``I'm not there yet. Who knows where things are going to be in two years? You focus on now.''

The Heat plans to create enough salary cap space for two top free agents in 2010.

As far as those nightmares, Wade said Riley can rest easy.

''Coach and I talk all the time,'' Wade said. ``He knows where I'm at, and he knows I'm all about winning. All I want to see is this team build itself back to being -- a championship contender.

``If that's done, then I'm fine.'' Source: The Miami Herald

No comments:

Post a Comment